- SURVIVAL KIT -

Parks and Gardens

Gardens in the Centre

Results 1 - 12 of 12

Archaelogical Museum (Garden of the)

Description

Lorenzo the Magnificent bought various houses in the area with the intention to build a huge urban villa surrounded by gardens, but the vicinity to the Ospedale degli Innocenti and three religious buildings (Angiolini, of the Little Cross and SS Annunziata monasteries) made the place more suitable for a religious retreat than for amusement. The garden was changed during the centuries (at the time of Cosimo II and in the 18th and 19th centuries). When Florence was the capital of Italy, the State Auditors' Department was settled in the palace. When Florence ceased to be the capital of Italy, the "Palace of the little Cross" was chosen to be the seat of the Archaeological Museum. After the failure of various projects Luigi Adriano Milani managed to create a garden strictly annexed to the museum where architectural structures and monuments coming from archaeological excavations were to be placed. In the first years of the 20th century, various Etruscan tombs were reconstructed in the garden by Milani helped by the architect Giuseppe Castellucci.

Notes

Property: State. Bookshop.

Opening Hours

Only Saturdays if the weather is not bad. Guided tours led by a keeper every hour: 9.30, 10.30, 11.30, 12.30. Booking is required 1-2 days in advance. Closed during the main holidays.

Prices

With the museums ticket it is possible to visit also the garden: euro 4; reduced euro 2 from 18 till 25 years old; free of charge under 18 and over 65 years old and for the schools.

Masterpieces

- tomb of the little devil (7th century B.C.), coming from Vetulonia and reconstructed in 1901-1902, and another tomb from Vetulonia where in the architrave there is the inscription of the deceased - Tlesnei tomb, with barrel-vault, reconstructed in 1899 - Inghirami tomb, very good copy of the tomb discovered in Volterra in 1861 where inside 53 alabaster cinerary urns were found - Veio tomb (7th century B.C.) - tomb from Casale Marittimo, with circular cella - the "Lion of Tuscania", in front of the tomb from Casale Marittino - tomb of the Crucifix of the tufa, the altar and the "favissa" (votive pit) from Bolsena.

Flora & Fauna

- a sample of yew over 100 years old - various types of anemone, narcissus and tulip - camellias: the camellia with a double flower known as "Callista", the very beautiful "Mutabilis Treversii" with a double flower with white variegated with red petals and the "Terzjana" created in Milan in 1845 and dedicated to the marquess Terzi.

Accessibility

Access for the disabled is a little bit difficult because of the graveled pathways. The Etruscan tomb from Casale Marittimo is not accessible (the others are not open). Entrance from via della Colonna.

How to get here

From Piazza Stazione (bus stop “Stazione Valfonda”) bus 14 (direction Ripa/Il Girone) or bus 23 (direction Sorgane/Nave a Rovezzano), get off at the bus stop “SS. Annunziata” (in via Battisti).

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Bardini (Garden)

via de’Bardi 1r (entrata da Costa San Giorgio)

+39 055 2346988

www.bardinipeyron.it

Description

The property was sold by the Mozzi family in 1400, due to economical problems, and came back in the hands of the family in 1551-2. in the first half of the 17th century the architect Gherardo Silvani built a panoramic villa with a garden for Giovan Francesco Manadori in Costa San Giorgio. In 1781 the property enlarged thanks to the donation by Margherita d'Orford to Giulio Mozzi of a "house with a big garden". In 1819 Giacomo Luigi Le Blanc, owner of villa Manadori and its garden, creates an English park, and in 1839 Pier Giannozzo de' Mozzi buys the property Le Balnc. In 1880 the entire complex is bought by Wanda Carolath-Benthen (Salesian princess) and in 1913 by the antiquarian Stefano Bardini that, at his death, leaves the property to hi son Ugo. The Ente Cassa di Risparmio di Firenze has payed for the restoration that has recently ended.The statues and the Baroccan staircase have been restored, together with the Canale del Drago (a water channel). In via de' Bardi 1r there is a permanent exhibition of the blossoms and a lunette in the Utens style.

Notes

Property: Bardini-Peyron Foundation but administered by the State. Groups of maximum 25 people. Bookshop.

Opening Hours

November-February 8.15 a.m.-4.30 p.m. March 8.15 a.m.-5.30 p.m. April, May, September, October 8.15 a.m.-6.30 p.m. June-August 8.15 a.m.-7.30 p.m. Closing time: first and last Monday of the month, and for the main holidays.

Prices

November-February 8.15 a.m.-4.30 p.m. March 8.15 a.m.-5.30 p.m. April, May, September, October 8.15 a.m.-6.30 p.m. June-August 8.15 a.m.-7.30 p.m. Closing time: first and last Monday of the month, and for the main holidays.

Disabled Access

Access: Yes

Masterpieces

- wall-fountain with decorations in sponge-stone, marble tesseras and shells; it is part of the re-arrangment of the spaces behind the palace done in the 18th century - back wall decorated with the Mozzi family coat of arms - Baroccan staircase - big niche with architectonic elements in stone; inside a marble statue made by Bardini with salvage materials - lemon-house enlarged by Bardini - rustic grotto: it was part of the furniture of the 19th garden of Giacomo Luigi Le Blanc - sculptural group with Cerere and Baccus - small temple with water games and falls - channel of the dragon.

Flora & Fauna

- ilex - laurel - olive - a secular ilex - an English garden - myrtle - azaleas - roses - a tunnel of hydrangeas that leads to Belvedere - re-blossoming iris.

Accessibility

Access for the disabled only in one part of the garden, because it’s on the climb and there is the gravel.

How to get here

From Piazza Stazione (bus stop “Stazione Galleria”) bus D (direction Piazza Ferrucci), get off at the bus stop “Ponte alle Grazie”.

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Boboli (Garden)

Piazza Pitti 1 (entrata da Palazzo Pitti, via Romana e Piazzale di Porta Romana)

+39 055 2388791

www.polomuseale.it/boboli

Description

The Pitti Palace was bought in the 15th century by Eleonora da Toledo, wife of Cosimo I de' Medici. In the 16th century numerous artists worked in the garden: Tribolo, Vasari, Ammannati, Buontalenti. In the 17th century Cosimo II wanted the garden to be enlarged, and in 1630-31 Giulio Parigi designed the Viale dei Cipressi (the Cypress boulevard), the amfitheatre behind the palace was transformed in a wall structure, and the labyrinths, the "ragnaie" and the Fountain of the Island were carried out. In 1737 the botanical gardens were created, together with a Museum of Natural History named "La Specola". After a period of neglect, works were resumed in the second half of the 18th century thanks to the Asburgo Lorena: the Kaffehaus, the lemon nursery by Zanobi del Rosso, the Palazzina della Meridiana (the sun-dial building) and the base at the centre of the amfitheatre over which was situated the Egyptian obelisque by Niccolo' Gaspero Paletti. In the 19th century was built the "Annalena entrance" with building and grotto, while the labyrinths were destroyed to create a boulevard for the carriages, a project by Pasquale Poccianti. The garden is the best example of a "Renaissance" style garden.

Notes

It is the best sample of a "Renaissance" style garden. Property: State. Groups of maximum 25 people. Bookshop. Bar-restaurant in the courtyard of the Pitti Palace.

Opening Hours

November-February 8.15 a.m. - 4.30 p.m. March 8.15 a.m. - 5.30 p.m. April, May, September, October 8.15 a.m. - 6.30 p.m. June-August 8.15 a.m. - 7.30 p.m. Closed on first and last Monday of the month, and main holidays.

Prices

€ 7 combined ticket with the Bardini Garden, the Costume Gallery, and the Porcelain and Silver Museums. If there are exhibitions € 10. Between 18 and 25 years old € 3.50. Free entrance under 18 and over 65 years old, for the schools booking in advance calling the number 055 290112 (Firenze Musei), for the disabled and their escorts, for the journalists with a licence.

Disabled Access

Access: Yes
Accessible Restrooms: Yes

Masterpieces

- above the Moses grotto the fountain of the artichoke made by Francesco Susini (1637-41) - anphitheatre - basin of the Pitchfork, also called ''Neptune fishpond'' - Egyptian obelisque from the Villa Medici, erected in Boboli by Paoletti in 1790 - classical statues of the Togaed, the Emperor and Caesar - bronze statue of Neptune with the Naiads and the Tritons by Stolzo Lorenzi (1565-68)inside the basin of the 16th century transformed by Zanobi del Rosso (1777-78) - statue of the Abundance in marble by Giambologna (1636), carried out together with Pietro Tacca and Sebastiano Salvini - Kaffehaus by Zanobi del Rosso - fountain of Ganimede by Stolzo Lorenzi (about 1550) - statue of Zeus in marble from Pratolino - small grotto of ''Madama'': wanted by Eleonora da Toledo and built by Davide Fortini between 1553 and 1555; its peculiarities are the sculptures of animals coming out from the wall at the back, carried out by Baccio Bandinelli and Giovanni Fancelli - big grotto by Buontalenti from the end of the 16th century: the façade is decorated with sponges, stuccos (the Peace and the Justice by Giovanni Battista del Tadda) and statues (Baccus and Cerere by Baccio Bandinelli 1552-56). Inside, due to the dim light, figures moulded in stucco, perhaps inspired from the myth of Deucalione and Pirra, seem to detach from the walls; in the corners two copies of the Prisoners by Michelangelo (the originals are in the Gallery of Academy) – small Baccus, marble statue by Valerio Cioli (the statue is known also with the name ''Nano Morgante''; this is however a copy of the original) - Roman statues of Daci Prisoners - the fountain of the ''Mostaccini'' (ugly faces) adorned by 16 masks in stone, probably carried out by Romolo Ferrucci between 1619 and 1621 – basin of the island, with the statue of the Ocean by Giambologna (1637) - ''meadow of the columns'': 12 classical busts, 2 columns put there by Paoletti, a series of sculptures of the 17th century of grotesque subject, the ''Caramogi'' by Romolo Ferrucci - Annalena's grotto built by Giuseppe Cacialli in 1817: there is the couple of Adam and Eve by Michelangelo Naccherino (about 1616) - lemon-house by Zanobi del Rosso (1777-78).

Flora & Fauna

- cypress - ilex - box hedges - lemon - antique roses - camellias.

Accessibility

Only partial access for the disabled: the route is limited.

How to get here

From Piazza Stazione (bus stop “Stazione Galleria”) bus D (direction Piazza Ferrucci), get off at the bus stop “Santo Spirito” (in via del Mezzetta).

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Botanical Garden (Giardino dei Semplici)

Via Micheli, 3

+39 055 2757402

[email protected]

www.msn.unifi.it

Description

In 1545, following the advice of Ghini (professor of botany in the University of Bologna), Cosimo I established that also Florence, like Siena, had to have a botanical garden open to the students of medical botany. The "Giardino dei Semplici" was therefore born under the project of Tribolo, with a design of an irregular square plan with, in its centre, an octagonal island with a marble fountain, surrounded by a ditch crossed by movable bridges. At the four corners of the garden there are little woods. Nowadays the garden appears quite different with an irregular polygonal plan and, during the 19th century a rectangular piece of land has been added along the side of via Capponi. In the north-east corner there is a small lake.

Notes

Property: Florence University. Small bookshop.

Opening Hours

From 16/10 to 31/3: Monday, Saturday, Sunday 10.00 a.m.-5.00 p.m. From 1/4 to 15/10: every day except Wednesday 10.00 a.m.-7.00 p.m. Closed during the principal holidays.

Prices

€ 6; reduced € 3 from 6 till 14 years old and for the schools till the high schools; free of charge under 6 years old and over 65, for students and workers of the Florence University, students of the Erasmus project and of the Accademia Belle Arti, for the military, ICOM and ANMS members, disabled people and their carers, tourist guides with card, journalists with card member, teachers and leaders of school classrooms till 3 people per class. Combined ticket for the Natural History Museums (except the “Specola” museum) € 10,00, validity 3 months; family ticket € 13,00 (except the “Specola” museum); 1 year ticket (maximum 30 entrances, except the “Specola” museum) € 30,00. Guided tours for groups by booking at the following phone number: 055 2346760 or e-mail [email protected] (Ufficio Attivita' Didattiche, Monday-Friday 9.00-17.00), € 30,00 plus the ticket price.

Disabled Access

Access: Yes
Accessible Restrooms: Yes

Flora & Fauna

- in the glass greenhouses the so called "stufini", a beautiful collection of orchids - the big brickwork greenhouses contain the most prestigious collections, with rare and exotic species: cicas, cactuses, ferns – rich collection of medicinal plants - basins for water plants - numerous conifers: among which there are interesting samples of Taxodium distichum with the characteristic roots from which the plants absorb oxygen – secular arboreal plants - numerous shrubs and herbaceous plants - rich collection of azaleas.

How to get here

From Piazza Stazione (bus stop “Stazione Valfonda”) bus 14 (direction Ripa/Il Girone) or 23 (direction Sorgane/Nave a Rovezzano), bus stop “San Marco”; otherwise bus 17 (direction Stadio/Viale Verga), bus stop “Venezia – Hotel de La Pace” (in via Lamarmora).

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Budini Gattai (Garden)

Via de' Servi, 51

+39 055 210832

[email protected]

www.palazzobudinigattai.it

Description

Ugolino Grifoni, secretary of Cosimo I, asked Bartolomeo Ammannati to build the villa and the garden. The works, started in 1563, lasted 10 years, and created a garden rich in philosophical meanings and designs . Important elements were the Fountain with the statues of ''Giasone with sea-monsters'' and ''Venus''and the walls of citrus fruits and evergreen to delimitate the space. In the 18th century the garden was enlarged and the fountain was moved, and in its place was put a wall-fountain with the statue of ''Venus''. At the end of the 19th century the Budini Gattai family bought the garden that was then to completely lose its geometrical structure to become a "Romanticism" style garden.

Notes

Property: Budini Gattai Family. Groups of maximum 10 people. The owners offer to the visitors coffee or wine according to the hour and the printed history of the palace.

Opening Hours

Visits by booking onlyfor groups of at least 8-10 people.

Prices

€ 10 per person.

Disabled Access

Access: Yes

Masterpieces

- little wood of banana trees, situated in a small courtyard and well protected where the plants have an ideal climate - camellias collection, that has become a real little wood. It is possible to find the camellia with double flower called Callista, the very beautiful Mutabilis Traversi with a double flower with white petals variegated in red, the Terzjana created in 1845 in Milan and so called in homage to the marquise Terzi.

Accessibility

Access for the disabled except for one step at the entrance.

How to get here

From Piazza Stazione (bus stop “Stazione Valfonda”) bus 14 (direction Ripa/Il Girone) or 23 (direction Sorgane/Nave a Rovezzano), get off at the bus stop “SS. Annunziata” (in via Battisti).

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Cascine (Park)

Da Piazza Vittorio Veneto fino al Ponte all'Indiano.

verdeonweb.comune.fi.it/

Description

Towards the end of the 16th century, the property went from the hands of the Medici family to the Lorena, and Pietro Leopoldo decided to open it as a public park to use for parties and religious festivals. It was Giuseppe Manetti who put in order the Cascine and he created a park enriched by furniture and architectures according to a symbolic path that today is very hard to distinguish since the architectures are now out of context. During the French rule, Elisa Baciocchi enlarged the boulevards. In the 17th century, the first horse races and the national target-shooting were inaugurated, creating a park suitable for sport activities. In 1865 the English sculptor Fuller realized the monument to the Indian and after a few years the Cascine went into the hands of the municipality of Florence that entrusted the restoration to Felice Francolini who also designed Vittorio Emanuele square.

Notes

Property: Municipality of Florence. Stand-bar.

Opening Hours

Always open.

Prices

Free of charge.

Disabled Access

Access: Yes
Accessible Restrooms: Yes

Masterpieces

- Royal little Palace by Manetti; it is now the headquarters of the Faculty of agricultural sciences of the University of Florence. - Drinking trough of the Quercione, built by Giuseppe Manetti in 1796, better known as Fontana delle Boccacce ("fountain of bad mouths"). It was used to give water to the cows that were freely pasturing in the park. - Equestrian monument for Vittorio Emanuele II (in Vittorio Veneto square) by Emilio Zocchi (1890). It was designed for Vittorio Emanuele II square (Repubblica square) but it was removed in 1932 to be put in its present position. - Vittoria bridge, designed by the architects Baroni, Bartoli, Gamberini, Maggiora and the engineer Focacci. The bridge hasn't been completed, the covering in stone and the parapet in bronze (as they were in the project) have never been realized. It substitues a preceeding bridge realized by Bruno Ferrati in 1932 and bombed by the Germans 4th August 1944. - Narcissus fountain, planned by Giuseppe Manetti and Gasparo Paoletti in 1791. The memorial tablet dedicated to Shelley was placed in 1954. - The pyramid, planned by Manetti and Paoletti in 1796. It was a place where the ice, stored up during the winter, was used during the summer months. - The "Pavoniere": the entire architectural complex is a work by Manetti (1791). The name comes from the nice little temples at the back that were originally used like bird cages. In the Sixties the structure was transformed into a swimming pool- - The "Casermetta", curious residence planned by Manetti and Paoletti towards 1795: it was used by the guards, after it became the gardener's house. - Monument to George Washington: wanted by the American colony in Florence it was erected in 1932. - Pegaso column, ascribed to Pasquale Poccianti (about 1830). The capital of the column is in iron and gives a special character to the "ninfeo" (monumental fountain with water games) once embellished with hermas in stone. - Air War School: wide architectural complex planned in 1937 by Raffaele Fagnoni. - Amphitheatre: it was the excavation of a sand quarry, turned to an amphitheatre in the Sixties. - Monument to the Indian prince: the 20 year old prince Rajaran Chuttraputti Maharajah of Kolhapur visiting Florence died 20th November 1870 from a sudden illness. He was cremated, and the family erected this monument in the place of the cremation, as it is in the Indian tradition. The architectural project is by Charles Mant Captan (1872); the coloured marble bust was sculptured by G. F. Fuller in 1876. - The Indian's building: planned by the technical office of the Municipality of Florence with a public coffee bar together with the square where the wall was built.

Flora & Fauna

The park covers an area of 118 hectares and contains 20.000 trees of 60 different species. Among the most important: - Atlas' cedar (Atlas cedrus) - Elm (Ulmus campestris) - Pine (Pinus) - Horse-chestnut (Aesculus hippocastanum) - Oak belonging to the specie of the secular oaks (Quercus pedunculata) (the oldest plants can be 30 metres high and the trunk's hollow and the branches can give hospitality to dormice, which are very common in the park). - White poplar (Populus alba).

How to get here

From via Alamanni tram T1 (direction Villa Costanza), get off at the bus stop “Cascine”.

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Corsi or Annalena’s (Garden)

Via Romana, 38

+39 055 222348

Description

In the 15th century the area of the garden was part of the ancient kitchen-garden of the Annalena nuns. At the beginning of the 19th century the marquis Tommaso Corsi became the owner and entrusted to Giuseppe Manetti (wonderful garden architect) the realization of the garden. Manetti supplied the garden with a collection of plants greatly appreciated by the botanists of that time. On the marble memorial tablet and the stone chair one can read engraved phrases which define the philosophical and contemplative character of the garden.

Notes

Phone 055 222348 Mr Pier Francesco Scarselli; 055 2280105 Ms Stefania Scarselli.

Opening Hours

Only by appointment.

Prices

Price to be agreed upon at the time of booking. Groups of maximum 20 people.

Masterpieces

- neo-classical entrance from via Romana with two images of dancing girls - little loggia in the corner between via Romana and via del Moro - statue of Mercury - bas-relief of winged figures - terracotta statue behind the laurustine niche - exedra little bench adorned with refined neo-classical patterns (the same ones appear on the facade of the villa) - a marble memorial tablet praises friendship - terracotta statues; once they were covered with stucco to imitate the Marble.

Flora & Fauna

- elliptic flowerbed with an elaborated box "parterre" - laurel and viburnum hedges - ilex, cedar and magnolia trees - little wood high on the wall.

How to get here

From Piazza Stazione (bus stop “Stazione Pensilina” or “Stazione Scalette”) bus 11 (direction Due Strade), bus 36 (direction Galluzzo-Le Gore Cascine del Riccio), or bus 37 (direction Galluzzo-Tavarnuzze), get off at the bus stop “Serumido” (in via dei Serragli).

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Corsini al Prato (Garden)

Via Il Prato, 58

+39 055 210564

Description

In 1591 Alessandro Acciaiuoli bought the land and entrusted the building of the palace to Buontalenti. The work wasn't completed due to financial problems, and the property was sold in 1621 to Filippo di Lorenzo Corsini. Filippo gave the task to the architect Gherardo Silvani, who was to build the "casino di delizia" (country house). The garden next to the palace wasn't very big, therefore it was enlarged buying fields all around. Silvani designed the garden creating, in the central part, geometrical partitions with a particularly refined design. Enlarged by Gaetano Baccani between 1834 and 1836, the "casino" became the house of Neri Corsini marquis of Laiatico and Eleonora Rinuccini.

Notes

Property: Prince and Princess Filippo and Giorgiana Corsini. Guided tours are led by Princess Corsini but for groups only.

Opening Hours

Visit by appointment only from 9.30 a.m. till 1.30 p.m. and from 3.30 p.m. till 7.00 p.m. For guided tours it is required to book in advance (Tel +39 340 2514033). Closing time Saturday, Sunday and holidays; Christmas and Easter vacations.

Prices

€ 8-10.

Disabled Access

Access: Yes

Masterpieces

- antiquarian collection of marble statues and classical inscriptions.

Flora & Fauna

- geometrical "parterre" with box hedges - flower and aromatic herbs plantations - 2 English woods in "Romanticism" style with big ilex and laurel trees - Pink peonies - Cherry-trees - Secular lime-trees – Meadow and fruit field.

How to get here

From via Alamanni tram T1 (direction Villa Costanza), get off at the bus stop “Leopolda”.

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Medici Riccardi Palace (Garden of the)

Via Cavour, 3

+39 055 2760340

www.palazzo-medici.it

Description

During the time of Lorenzo the Magnificent the garden was decorated with ancient and modern statues (among which the "Giuditta" by Donatello) and sculpted hedges especially created for festivals and ceremonies, like the wedding ceremony between Lorenzo the Magnificent and Clarice Orsini in 1469. In 1500 the garden was paved, and after the sale of the Palace to the Riccardi family in the 16th century, the garden was changed during the centuries. We arrive then at the project of Lusini in 1911-1921. Enrico Lusini designed a garden which is in between the "Renaissance" and the Baroque style, with the fountain with the heroic statue of Francesco Riccardi and the pavement in cobblestones with coats of arms of the Medici and the Riccardi families.

Notes

Property: Province of Florence. Bookshop.

Opening Hours

9.00 a.m.–6.00 p.m. Closed on Wednesday.

Prices

€ 7; reduced € 4 from 6 till 12 years old, over 65 years old and for groups of minimum 15 people, members of ACI, Touring Club, ICOM cards, University Students with card and military.

Disabled Access

Access: Yes
Accessible Restrooms: Yes

Masterpieces

- fountain with the heroic statue of Francesco Riccardi - ancient statues.

Flora & Fauna

- citrus fruits in the vases.

How to get here

10 minutes walking from Piazza Stazione.

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Orti Oricellari

Via Orti Oricellari, 9 – ingresso da Via della Scala, 85

+ 39 055 266991

Description

Property of Bernardo Rucellai, the garden was the seat for the meetings of literary men, humanists, philosophers and historians (like Machiavelli, Buondelmonti, Jacopo da Diacceto and Luigi Alemanni). The garden was bought at the end of the 16th century by Francesco I de' Medici for his lover Bianca Cappello and was transformed into a place for parties and practical jokes. Giovan Carlo I de' Medici was the owner in the middle of the 17th century and the garden was newly designed by Alfonso Parigi and Ferdinando Tacca. Francesco Ridolfi bought it in 1670 and gave the task to enlarge it to Pier Francesco Silvani. At the beginning of the 19th century Giuseppe Stiozzi Ridolfi asked Luigi de Cambrai Digny to design an English style park and a "Romanticism" style garden was created.

Notes

The garden is part of the Lycée International “Victor Hugo”.

Opening Hours

Visits by appointment only on Wednesday from 2 to 5 pm and on Saturday from 9am to 12 pm.

Prices

Free entrance.

Disabled Access

Access: Yes

Masterpieces

- statue of Polifemo by Antonio Novelli, Giambologna's pupil, in plastered masonry - Polifemo's grotto (known also as Winds' cavern), decorated with sponges; to realize it an artificial little hill was created – Grotto of the Baths, decorated with calcareous concretions: there are bucolic images that have been ruined by time and dampness - Neoclassical facade of the Pantheon by de Cambrai Digny: Restored in the second part of the 19th century by Giuseppe Poggi, the building contains tombs and relics of notorious men who populated the garden during the time of the "Sylva Oricellaria" - Grotto of the 17th century placed underneath the palace, with niches decorated with shells and sponges.

How to get here

From Piazza Stazione just a few minutes walking.

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Torrigiani (Garden)

Via de' Serragli,146

+39 055 224527

[email protected]

www.giardinotorrigiani.it

Description

It is the biggest garden inside the city walls and it is a perfect sample of an English garden from the point of an aesthetic and philosophical ideal. In 1813 Pietro Torrigiani, Mason, entrusted the development of the garden to Luigi de Cambrai Digny who also belonged to the Masonic lodge "Napoleone". The garden was supposed to have an itinerary in a Masonic-symbolic key, with symbols that had to remain mysterious and hardly decipherable: statues of the Sphinx and Osiris, little Arcadia temple , the small tower and other numerous architectures. Cambrai Digny worked at it for only one year. In 1819 the architect Gaetano Baccani built the neo-Gothic small tower, the false merlons of the Medici bastion, the gymnasium, the aviary, and other games. Also in 1813 Antonio Pucci published the inventory, that contains the names of 13.000 plants in the soil and 5.500 in the vase.

Notes

Mobile phone +39 348 3960570. Property: dott. Torrigiani.

Opening Hours

Only by booking.

Prices

€ 20,00 per individual and couples till a minimum of € 50,00 total price. For groups € 15,00 per person.

Disabled Access

Access: Yes
Accessible Restrooms: Yes

Masterpieces

- little Arcadia temple: inside a sculptured group represents a lion that assaults a bull - little tower, built by the architect Gaetano Baccani and inspired by the heraldic emblem of the Torrigiani family - Sphinx statue - Osiris statue, Egyptian god of death and resurrection, who shows two tablets which contain rules to enter the garden: "dogs, horses and carriages are not allowed. Do not touch flowers, plants and minerals. Do not play games without special permission. Walk on the paths only" - Very beautiful marble vases - "Seneca that shows the way to the very young Pietro Torrigiani", sculptured group built by Pietro Fedi in the 19th century.

Flora & Fauna

- valuable and rare plantations of high stem trees - little bamboo wood - laurel hedges and other evergreen plants - circular meadow placed in front of the villa - extraordinary sample of ultra-centenarian beech.

How to get here

From Piazza Stazione (fermata “Stazione Pensilina” o “Stazione Scalette”) bus 11 (direction Due Strade), bus 36 (direction Galluzzo-Le Gore Cascine del Riccio), or bus 37 (direction Galluzzo-Tavarnuzze), get off at the bus stop “Serumindo” (in via dei Serragli).

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Vivarelli Colonna (Garden of the Palace)

Via Ghibellina, 28 (si entra da via delle Conce)

+39 055 2625940

Description

It is divided in geometrical box flowerbeds and has a camellias little woods on the east side. At the end of the garden there is a walled-fountain of the 18th century.

Notes

Ms Francesca Granelli answers the phone. Groups of maximum 30 people.

Opening Hours

From April to October Tuesday and Thursday from 10.00 a.m. till 5.00 p.m. Closed from November to March.

Prices

Free entrance.

Disabled Access

Access: Yes

Accessibility

Access to the garden is a bit difficult because of the graveled pathways.

How to get here

From via Panzani bus C2 (direction Piazza Beccaria), get off at the bus stop “Malborghetto” (in via dell’Agnolo).

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]