- SURVIVAL KIT -

Parks and Gardens

Results 13 - 24 of 51

Gardens in the Centre

Corsi or Annalena’s (Garden)

Via Romana, 38

+39 055 222348

Description

In the 15th century the area of the garden was part of the ancient kitchen-garden of the Annalena nuns. At the beginning of the 19th century the marquis Tommaso Corsi became the owner and entrusted to Giuseppe Manetti (wonderful garden architect) the realization of the garden. Manetti supplied the garden with a collection of plants greatly appreciated by the botanists of that time. On the marble memorial tablet and the stone chair one can read engraved phrases which define the philosophical and contemplative character of the garden.

Notes

Phone 055 222348 Mr Pier Francesco Scarselli; 055 2280105 Ms Stefania Scarselli.

Opening Hours

Only by appointment.

Prices

Price to be agreed upon at the time of booking. Groups of maximum 20 people.

Masterpieces

- neo-classical entrance from via Romana with two images of dancing girls - little loggia in the corner between via Romana and via del Moro - statue of Mercury - bas-relief of winged figures - terracotta statue behind the laurustine niche - exedra little bench adorned with refined neo-classical patterns (the same ones appear on the facade of the villa) - a marble memorial tablet praises friendship - terracotta statues; once they were covered with stucco to imitate the Marble.

Flora & Fauna

- elliptic flowerbed with an elaborated box "parterre" - laurel and viburnum hedges - ilex, cedar and magnolia trees - little wood high on the wall.

How to get here

From Piazza Stazione (bus stop “Stazione Pensilina” or “Stazione Scalette”) bus 11 (direction Due Strade), bus 36 (direction Galluzzo-Le Gore Cascine del Riccio), or bus 37 (direction Galluzzo-Tavarnuzze), get off at the bus stop “Serumido” (in via dei Serragli).

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Gardens in the Centre

Corsini al Prato (Garden)

Via Il Prato, 58

+39 055 210564

Description

In 1591 Alessandro Acciaiuoli bought the land and entrusted the building of the palace to Buontalenti. The work wasn't completed due to financial problems, and the property was sold in 1621 to Filippo di Lorenzo Corsini. Filippo gave the task to the architect Gherardo Silvani, who was to build the "casino di delizia" (country house). The garden next to the palace wasn't very big, therefore it was enlarged buying fields all around. Silvani designed the garden creating, in the central part, geometrical partitions with a particularly refined design. Enlarged by Gaetano Baccani between 1834 and 1836, the "casino" became the house of Neri Corsini marquis of Laiatico and Eleonora Rinuccini.

Notes

Property: Prince and Princess Filippo and Giorgiana Corsini. Guided tours are led by Princess Corsini but for groups only.

Opening Hours

Visit by appointment only from 9.30 a.m. till 1.30 p.m. and from 3.30 p.m. till 7.00 p.m. For guided tours it is required to book in advance (Tel +39 340 2514033). Closing time Saturday, Sunday and holidays; Christmas and Easter vacations.

Prices

€ 8-10.

Disabled Access

Access: Yes

Masterpieces

- antiquarian collection of marble statues and classical inscriptions.

Flora & Fauna

- geometrical "parterre" with box hedges - flower and aromatic herbs plantations - 2 English woods in "Romanticism" style with big ilex and laurel trees - Pink peonies - Cherry-trees - Secular lime-trees – Meadow and fruit field.

How to get here

From via Alamanni tram T1 (direction Villa Costanza), get off at the bus stop “Leopolda”.

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Other Gardens

Fonte Lucente (Garden of Villa Peyron at the Wood of)

Via di Vincigliata 2 – Fiesole – Firenze

+39 055 5978278

www.bardinipeyron.it

Description

Paul Peyron inherited the villa from Angelo Peyron and, since 1934, began to work for the creation of a garden that grows continuously. After the damage suffered in the last war he began the reconstruction work, and so created an Italian garden, terraces, stairways connecting the space for music dedicated to Riccardo Muti lookout over the lake, the beds of boxwood , the lake, the woods decorated with ancient architecture and garden statues from Veneto. Water is an essential element of the garden, there are as many as 29 fountains.

Notes

The telephone number is Villa Bardini's. Properties: Fondazione Parchi Monumentali Bardini e Peyron (Monumental Parks Bardini and Peyron Foundation).

Opening Hours

From 1st March to 3rd November: Friday, Saturday and Saturday 10am-6pm. Last entrance 5pm.

Prices

€ 10.00. Tickets for the villa have to be obtained at the concierge.

Disabled Access

Access: Yes

Masterpieces

Ancient garden architectures - about 80 statues coming from Veneto, spread out in the garden and in the wood - 29 fountains realized with elements of various origin.

Flora & Fauna

Ancient garden architectures - about 80 statues coming from Veneto, spread out in the garden and in the wood - 29 fountains realized with elements of various origin.

Accessibility

Partial access for the disabled.

How to get here

From Piazza S. Marco bus 7 (direction Fiesole), from the last bus stop bus 47.

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Protected Natural Areas of Local Interest (ANPIL)

Foresta di Sant’Antonio

Notes

Other websites: http://www.reggellonatura.it/ http://www.firenzeturismo.it/ambiente-territorio/ http://www.provincia.fi.it/sentieri/

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Protected Natural Areas of Local Interest (ANPIL)

Gabbianello

Notes

Other websites: http://www.wwf.it/client/render_oasi.aspx?content=0&root=3493 http://www.firenzeturismo.it/ambiente-territorio/ http://www.provincia.fi.it/sentieri/

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Other Gardens

Gamberaia (Garden of Villa)

Via del Rossellino 72 – Settignano – Firenze

+39 055 697205

www.villagamberaia.it

Description

The story of the garden started at the beginning of the 17th century when the property belonged to Zanobi di Andrea Lapi. At the beginning of the 18th century the villa was bought by the Capponi family and the property remained in its hands till 1854, and then it passed from hand to hand till it was bought by the Princess Ghyka in 1896. Martino Porcinai, head-gardener of the Princess, and Luigi Messeri created the modern garden of Villa Gamberaia. The property then passed through various hands: in 1924 it was bought by Matilde Layard Cassa, Baroness von Ketteler. Towards the end of the 20th century the baroness donated the property to the Holy See, but soon it was bought by Marcello Marchi who accomplished important works of restoration. It passed then to the Marchi heirs and, in 1955, was assigned to Luigi Zalum and his wife Franca Marchi.

Notes

Properties: Zalum family. Bookshop.

Opening Hours

Monday-Saturday: 9.00 a.m.-6.00 p.m. Sundays and holidays: 9.00 a.m.-5.00 p.m. Closing time 1 hour earlier at the end of E.U. summer-time.

Prices

€ 10.00; students € 8.00. The visit to the villa (only the ground floor) is possible only for groups of minimum 10 people booking in advance through the e-mail: an extra charge of € 5 is required.

Disabled Access

Access: Yes

Masterpieces

- "gabinetto di roccaglia" (rock garden), with a prolonged elliptical plan, and with walls decorated with niches and terra cotta statues. From the back wall emerged some figures that nowadays are partly lost. The water games, which still exist, are operated from a place inside the connecting staircase: they are water jets designed to purposely douse the visitors that stop to admire the splendid sandstone fountain - Nymphaeum: it is a theatre created probably for music and rendered enigmatic by the presence of the divinity that emerges from the niche excavated in the hill (maybe it is Dionysus, because of the shepherds and the musicians at its side).

Flora & Fauna

- secular cypresses - a big larch pine - two "selvatici" (wild areas), one of them of secular ilexes - lemon-garden - flowering of arboreal peonies - "Albertine" roses - periwinkle underwood - box hedges – yews - azaleas collection.

Accessibility

Partial access for the disabled.

How to get here

From Piazza S. Marco bus 10 (direction Settignano) till the last bus-stop, then walk for 10 minutes.

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Other Gardens

Iris (Garden of the)

Piazza Michelangelo (angolo Viale dei Colli)

+39 055 483112

Description

From 1251 the iris has been the symbol of Florence: ever since 1954 this garden has been keeping and showing the most beautiful varieties of this flower and has 2.500 species. Every year in May, during the blossoming, the international exhibition-competition of the iris takes place in this garden.

Notes

Properties: Municipality of Florence. The office of the Iris Society is in via Bolognese 17. The competition takes place from 7th till 12th May and the prize-giving will be 12th May at 10.00 a.m. in the "Salone de' Dugento" in Palazzo Vecchio. In the bookshop there are no fixed prices but one can leave a donation.

Opening Hours

Open from 25th April till 20th May: 10.00 a.m.-12.30 p.m./3.00p.m.-7.00 p.m. every day. Contact hours by phone: Tuesday and Friday: 10.00 a.m-12.30 p.m. (Società Italiana dell'Iris).

Prices

Free of charge.

Disabled Access

Access: Yes

Flora & Fauna

- 2500 specimens of iris.

Accessibility

Only partial access for the disabled since it is on a hill; the entrance for the disabled is by the little path parallel to the street but it is necessary to call in advance.

How to get here

From Piazza Stazione (bus stop “Stazione Parcheggio”) bus 12 (direction Porta Romana/Piazzale Michelangelo) and 13 (direction Stazione Campo Marte/Piazzale Michelangelo).

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Protected Natural Areas of Local Interest (ANPIL)

Le Balze

Notes

Other websites: http://www.reggellonatura.it/ http://www.firenzeturismo.it/ambiente-territorio/ http://www.provincia.fi.it/sentieri/

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Other Gardens

Le Balze (Garden of Villa)

Via Vecchia Fiesolana 26 – Fiesole – Firenze

+39 055 59208

www.villalebalze.org

Description

The American philosopher Charles Augustus Strong, in 1914, entrusted the construction of the villa and the garden to the English landscapist Cecil Pinset and the architecture historian Geoffrey Scott. Having to use a long and narrow terracing, the composition is centred on the villa at whose sides the "stanze di verzura" (a little ilex wood cut in a certain shape and the lemon-garden with a central basin) open, and, under the staircase, we find the grotto, typical of the Italian baroque style garden. The end of the garden is marked with the stone statue of a hermit.

Notes

Property: Georgetown University from Washington.

Opening Hours

Contact hours: Monday-Friday: 9.00-12.00/14.00-16.00. Opening hours: only by appointment. Last entrance at 3.30 p.m.

Prices

One usually leaves a donation for the maintenance of the garden.

Disabled Access

Access: Yes

Masterpieces

- stone statue of a hermit - grotto.

Flora & Fauna

- ilex wood - lemons - lavender and iris.

Accessibility

Partial access for the disabled.

How to get here

From Piazza S. Marco bus 7 (direction Fiesole) till the last bus-stop, then walk for about 10 minutes taking via Vecchia Fiesolana.

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Gardens in the Centre

Medici Riccardi Palace (Garden of the)

Via Cavour, 3

+39 055 2760340

www.palazzo-medici.it

Description

During the time of Lorenzo the Magnificent the garden was decorated with ancient and modern statues (among which the "Giuditta" by Donatello) and sculpted hedges especially created for festivals and ceremonies, like the wedding ceremony between Lorenzo the Magnificent and Clarice Orsini in 1469. In 1500 the garden was paved, and after the sale of the Palace to the Riccardi family in the 16th century, the garden was changed during the centuries. We arrive then at the project of Lusini in 1911-1921. Enrico Lusini designed a garden which is in between the "Renaissance" and the Baroque style, with the fountain with the heroic statue of Francesco Riccardi and the pavement in cobblestones with coats of arms of the Medici and the Riccardi families.

Notes

Property: Province of Florence. Bookshop.

Opening Hours

9.00 a.m.–6.00 p.m. Closed on Wednesday.

Prices

€ 7; reduced € 4 from 6 till 12 years old, over 65 years old and for groups of minimum 15 people, members of ACI, Touring Club, ICOM cards, University Students with card and military.

Disabled Access

Access: Yes
Accessible Restrooms: Yes

Masterpieces

- fountain with the heroic statue of Francesco Riccardi - ancient statues.

Flora & Fauna

- citrus fruits in the vases.

How to get here

10 minutes walking from Piazza Stazione.

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Protected Natural Areas of Local Interest (ANPIL)

Montececeri

Notes

Other websites: http://www.firenzeturismo.it/ambiente-territorio/ http://www.provincia.fi.it/sentieri/

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]

Gardens in the Centre

Orti Oricellari

Via Orti Oricellari, 9 – ingresso da Via della Scala, 85

+ 39 055 266991

Description

Property of Bernardo Rucellai, the garden was the seat for the meetings of literary men, humanists, philosophers and historians (like Machiavelli, Buondelmonti, Jacopo da Diacceto and Luigi Alemanni). The garden was bought at the end of the 16th century by Francesco I de' Medici for his lover Bianca Cappello and was transformed into a place for parties and practical jokes. Giovan Carlo I de' Medici was the owner in the middle of the 17th century and the garden was newly designed by Alfonso Parigi and Ferdinando Tacca. Francesco Ridolfi bought it in 1670 and gave the task to enlarge it to Pier Francesco Silvani. At the beginning of the 19th century Giuseppe Stiozzi Ridolfi asked Luigi de Cambrai Digny to design an English style park and a "Romanticism" style garden was created.

Notes

The garden is part of the Lycée International “Victor Hugo”.

Opening Hours

Visits by appointment only on Wednesday from 2 to 5 pm and on Saturday from 9am to 12 pm.

Prices

Free entrance.

Disabled Access

Access: Yes

Masterpieces

- statue of Polifemo by Antonio Novelli, Giambologna's pupil, in plastered masonry - Polifemo's grotto (known also as Winds' cavern), decorated with sponges; to realize it an artificial little hill was created – Grotto of the Baths, decorated with calcareous concretions: there are bucolic images that have been ruined by time and dampness - Neoclassical facade of the Pantheon by de Cambrai Digny: Restored in the second part of the 19th century by Giuseppe Poggi, the building contains tombs and relics of notorious men who populated the garden during the time of the "Sylva Oricellaria" - Grotto of the 17th century placed underneath the palace, with niches decorated with shells and sponges.

How to get here

From Piazza Stazione just a few minutes walking.

Source: Tourist Information Centers City of Florence - Piazza Stazione 4, [email protected] - Loggia del Bigallo, [email protected]